The government has announced that the Hospitality sector should close at 10 pm and 10:20 in Wales, a decision that is not popular among venues, event managers, the hospitality sector, students and thousands of punters. A decision seemingly with no overall effect on tackling Coronavirus.
So Why does it not make any sense to me?
- The hospitality sector is enforcing a track and trace system, even before the government released the official NHS App.
- Hospitality venues and events are enforcing social distancing and limiting people who can attend events and venues to 6 per group.
- People are attending gatherings in private settings where there is no enforcement of COVID regulations
- Everyone leaves the venues at the same time, leaving it very hard to social distance
- The majority of venues are being responsible, with increased security to ensure guests are complying with the rules
Additionally, the hospitality and events industries have been one of the worst-hit sectors economically throughout this pandemic. The industry is in dire need to open and stay open for as long as possible to ensure they can continue to trade in the future.
What measures do I believe should be in place?
- Ensure temperature control checking is in place at the point of entrance
- Ensure a Track and Trace scheme is in place
- Ensure social distancing is followed
- Enable an App to order drinks from, such as round.
- Allow the venue to open until late, ensuring a table policy is in place
Why do I think venues should be open until late?
This is not a commercial decision, but a COVID control decision. If venues close early, people are likely to attend an unmanaged setting, such as a house party. Opening venues until late will ensure people have a place to socialise more safely.
In conclusion, I believe that the hospitality and events sector should be allowed to self manage their venue. They are professionals and know what they are doing, what’s best for the area, guests and the safety of guests. Closing venues at 10 pm, just push thousands of guests out on the street at the same time, making social distancing impossible. The venue remains a safer place for the guests and enables them to socially distance. Additionally, it enables the guests to leave at a time they want to, so there will be a steady flow of people in and out of the venue throughout the night and not all at the same time.
Here’s a little video about the app.
Image Cred: Pexels